- Proefstation Voor De Groenteteelt (PSKW), Belgium
- Proefcentrum Voor Sierteelt – PCS, Belgium
- Association Provençale De Recherche et d’Experimentation Legumiere (APREL), France
- Centro di Sperimentazione ed Assistenza Agricola (CERSAA), Italy
- Nederlandse Organisatie Voor Toegepast Natuurwetenschappelijk Onderzoek Tno (TNO), The Netherlands
- Stichting Proeftuin Zwaagdijk (ZW), The Netherlands
- Instituto Andaluz de Investigaciony Formacion Agraria Pesquera Alimentaria y de la Produccion Ecologica (IFAPA), Spain
- East Malling Research (EMR), United Kingdom
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft zur Forderung der Angewandten Forschung Ev (Fraunhofer), Germany
- Centrum Doradztwa Rolniczego W Brwinowie (CDR), Poland
- Instytut Ogrodnictwa (IO), Poland
- Universidad de Almeria (UAL), Spain
- The Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB), United Kingdom
- Fundacion Cajamar (FC), Spain
- Centro de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnologicas de Extremadura (CICYTEX), Spain
- Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Agrarias (IVIA), Spain
- Instituto Navarro de Tecnologias e Infraestructuras Agroalimentarias SA (INTIA), Spain
- Priva BV (PRIVA BV) BV, The Netherlands
- Comite d’Action Technique et Economique (CATE), France
- Kmetijsko Gozdarska Zbornika Slovenije Kmetijsko Gozdarski Zavod Maribor (CAFS), Slovenia
- Provinciaal Proefcentrum Voor De Groenteteelt Oostvlaanderen VZW (PCG), Belgium,
- Proefcentrum Hoogstraten (PCH), Belgium
- Optima Agrik PTY LTD (OA), South Africa
Horizon 2020 – European Commission.
In European countries, the cultivation of fertigated crops experience scarcity of water, and the intensity of cultivation poses significant risks to water quality. The main objective of the FERTINNOWA thematic network is to create a meta-knowledge database on innovative technologies and practices for fertigation of horticultural crops. FERTINNOWA will also build a knowledge exchange platform to evaluate existing and novel technologies (innovation potential, synergies, gaps, barriers) for fertigated crops and ensure wide dissemination to all stakeholders involved of the most promising technologies and best practices.
A multi-actor integrated approach will be used through the FERTINNOWA platform which will involve various stakeholders (researchers, growers, policy-makers, industry, environmental groups etc.) at several levels including the socio-economic and regulatory level (national and European) with a special focus on the EU Water Framework Directive and Nitrate Directive. Information will be gathered at national level to feed a European benchmark study that will evaluate and compare existing technologies used at various horticulture sectors, including vegetables, fruit and ornamentals in different climate zones.
All tools, databases and other resources generated will be shared within the consortium and the stakeholders’ group and will be made available to the broader scientific community, policy-makers, the industry and the public at large. FERTINNOWA will help the growers to implement innovative technologies in order to optimize water and nutrient use efficiency thus reducing the environmental impact.
- Close the gap between knowledge and growers with regards to fertigated crops through the gathering of knowledge, state of the art, and innovative solutions, sharing of this knowledge, best technologies and practices, and the continuous involvement of the growers
- Support to action including water reuse and recycling, water and wastewater treatment with recovery of resources, water governance, and decision support systems and monitoring
- Harmonise horticulture with essential natural resources on which farming depends and ameliorate the management of natural resources – in line with environmental requirements – to increase horticultural productivity and output sustainability
- Increase the application of water-related solutions and validation of at least 8 innovative technologies and best practices which will result in the further development of sustainable water solutions for fertigated crops
- Showcase of relevant exchanged technologies by consortium partners to local growers during field visits
- Provide growers with effectie informative and dissemination tools in the different languages on how to implement and use the appointed technologies.