MICROIRRIGATION PLASTIC PIPES AND DRIPS WITH ANTI-MICROBIAL AND ANTI-ROOTS FUNCTIONALITIES
Workshop of the project – 8th June 2016
• AIMPLAS-Technological Institute of Plastic – Spain;
• GALLOPLAST – Spain;
• IRRITEC – Italy;
• PCG – Provincial Research Centre for Vegetables East-Flanders – Belgium;
• PCS – Proefcentrum voor Sierteelt vzw – Belgium;
• CeRSAA – Centre of Agricultural Experimentation and Assistance – Italy.
European Commission – CIP ECO – Innovation
The RIGA project aims at bringing innovations in the field of micro-irrigation and localized irrigation in order to contribute to water saving in agriculture and to the reduction of plastic wastes.
• development of micro-irrigation equipment in plastic material with innovative anti-microbial and anti-roots additives which are incorporated during melt process;
• testing the effectiveness of the new additives through laboratory and field tests in order to establish the optimum dosage of the additives and their degradation;
• optimization of process parameters related to the extrusion of pipes and drips after the incorporation of additives;
• assessment of the properties of the final product regarding crop development, water saving and soil quality;
• analysis of the environmental/economic/legal impact deriving from the use of the new technologies.
Materials and methods
• research and analysis applied to chemical and -physical parameters of the functional additives which are more suitable for the production of PE masterbatches;
• tests to achieve a high dispersion of the selected additives within the plastic product to minimize the consumption of additive over time in order to increase the lifetime of the machineries;
• optimization of manufacturing processes (extrusion and injection) for the production of the innovative irrigation systems;
• evaluation of the performances of micro-irrigation systems through field tests;
• economic studies regarding the business opportunities deriving from the development of these innovative products and their introduction on the market;
• dissemination of project results.
• Definition of the the requirements and production of PE masterbatches with suitable anti-algae and anti-microbial additives;
• Production of pipes and drips with innovative properties at pilot and industrial level along with the drafting of the relevant technical data sheets;
• Validation of pipes and drips in field condition through dedicated demonstrative trials;
• Set up of guidelines for the cultivation of vegetable and ornamental crops that envisage the adoption of the innovative micro-irrigation pipes and drips;
• Quantification of the environmental and economical impact deriving from the adoption of the innovative pipes and drips also through L.C.A. studies;
• Monitoring and assessment of knowledge and results generated by the project to be protected and exploited;
• Development of a business plan in order to support market introduction of the obtained innovative products;
• Set up of the most appropriate tools in order to increase the visibility of the project and maximize the dissemination of its outcomes.