COLLECTION AND EVALUATION OF RELEVANT INFORMATION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A NEW GUIDANCE DOCUMENT ON EMISSIONS OF PLANT PROTECTION PRODUCTS FROM PROTECTED CROPS
• EFSA – European Food Safety Authority, Parma
• Ce.R.S.A.A. – Centro Regionale di Sperimentazione e Assistenza Agricola, Albenga
• N.AG.RE.F. – National Agricultural Research Foundation, Atene, Grecia
• Agricultura y Ensayo (A&E), Siviglia, Spagna
The survey aims to collect new data on protected cropping systems in Southern Europe, including fruit, vegetables and ornamental crops.
Materials and Methods
For the conduction of the survey, five regions have been selected as representative of all the different types of protected crops present in Southern Europe. These regions are:
– Liguria (Albenga and Sanremo areas) and Lumbardy (Bergamo Province) in the North-Western Italy;
– Sicily (Ragusa Province) in the Italy of the Islands;
– Andalucia (Almeria and Huelva areas) and Murcia Region (Alicante, Murcia and Cartagena) in the Southern Spain;
– Crete (Agios Nikolaos area) in Greece;
– Languedoc-Roussillon (Perpignan area) in the Mediterranean France.
Data collection will be carried out by preparing a questionnaire and interviewing on-site growers and technicians in the selected areas. Ce.R.S.A.A. will be supported by Agricultura y Ensayo (for Spanish areas) and by N.AG.RE.F. (for Greek area) in the compilation of the questionnaire.
The data gathered through the questionnaire will be inserted in a database of EFSA, and then summarized in a final public report.
The survey aims to obtain a very realistic and up-to-date picture of the situation of the Mediterranean greenhouses features. The data gathered will be useful to compile a comprehensive guidance document on pesticide emissions from protected crop systems.